Tuesday 1 April 2014

The DS-160 Form!

Well I will start by saying how glad I am for the visa process to be over! It was a bit of a disaster from the start but I got there in the end! For now I'll start with the form.

So first of all it was all very exciting getting my visa documents in the post! It came in a big envelope with a yummy jobs stamp on so I knew exactly what it was when I saw it (plus I had been given a heads up from Talie that they were on the way!

Our visa documents were sent out at the same time as the April 8th's arrival group so we got our slightly earlier than you would usually expect them. Me, Talie, Katherine, Annaliese and Olivia decided we would all go for our interviews on the 18th March at 8/8:30am so we could all meet up etc :)

Filling in the DS-160 form was not the funniest thing I've ever had to do and was very tedious- when it comes to you doing it I would suggest you having all your paperwork to hand and your passport etc. Things like listing the last 5 times you went to the state isn't exactly something you know off the top of your head if it goes back quite a while! I ended up putting in my Dad's year of birth as 1958 but then my mum informed me AFTER I completed the form that it was 1957. Now, I'm sure it wouldn't have made a massive difference to my application but obviously I wanted to make sure everything was completely correct on all my paperwork so it meant I had to fill in ANOTHER DS-160 but at least this time it had all my information already in there so I just had to edit the bit I had done wrong. After a million questions asking me if I was a criminal of any sort I finally finished! Filling out the visa form made me kinda feel like this by the end:



After the form had been completed I had to book my appointment which you can now do online! This is  SO much better because as you may have read in other blogs you used to have to call a phone line who charged £1.50 (!) a minute so I was very thankful that I didn't have to pay this although I was planning to use works phone if I did (sorry Jackie if you are reading this haha!). But it is super easy to choose your time now and choose whether you want your passport sent to a pick up location which was free or to your home/private address which was an extra $30! Just as my luck would have it none of the pick up points were overally close to me so after petrol etc it made more sense for me to just have my visa sent to my house. 

Talie very kindly allowed me and Katherine to stay at hers the night before so it meant I didn't have to pay peak time fare into London and leave at stupid o'clock in the morning- plus any excuse for a meet up eh? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment